Browsing Category: "Financial Press Release"

Attorney to Give Tips on Leaving Money to a Minor

Tuesday, October 14th, 2008 | Financial Press Release

Small financial details everyone should know about leaving a gift of money to a minor

Los Angeles (PRWEB) October 8, 2008 -- Leaving a gift of money to minors can raise a multitude of legal issues for the recipient. Mina N. Sirkin, a Los Angeles, California, family wealth lawyer, author of the blog, Musings of a Mom About Kids and Money, offers the following money tips and information on how to best leave a gift of money to a minor.

"If you are leaving money or inheritance to a minor, there are many variables to consider when leaving such a gift to children or grandchildren," Sirkin says. "Knowledge about the different ways of leaving money to a minor will insure that he or she safely receives his or her gift and can avoid court proceedings and lots of monetary cost."

Sirkin notes that there are some significant differences between leaving an inheritance in a guardianship account and leaving an inheritance in a custodial account.

"Knowing the differences between a guardianship account and a custodial account, and how to use them appropriately can save a lot of headache in court, as well as money by avoiding probate or guardianship proceedings," Sirkin says.

When it comes to guardianship accounts, a Guardian must be court appointed. A bond needs to be set for the guardian or waived by the parent of the minor in a will or other instrument. A Guardian is obligated to file an annual accounting in the court. A guardian who is a parent of the child cannot use the money of the guardianship to discharge his/her duty to support his/her kid or other kids in the family.

"What this means is that if there is an expense that the parent guardian is legally obligated to pay, it has to paid from his earnings, and not from the guardianship assets," Sirkin says. For example, normal educational needs of the minor have to be paid for from the earnings of the parent guardian, not from the guardianship accounts. However, a parent guardian can apply to the court to ask whether the court will authorize him to pay for unusual educational expenses of the minor from the minor's funds. In most cases, the court orders most of the assets of the minor to be placed in blocked accounts. The guardian is not allowed to use the guardianship account for his own personal use. The guardianship must end upon the minor reaching 18 years of age. The guardian can be held responsible to the minor for an extended period even after the guardianship ends.

As compared to guardianship accounts, with custodial accounts (UTMA or CUTMA accounts), a custodian of the minor does not necessarily need to be appointed by the court and the custodial assets can be transferred to the custodian outside of court. In California, a custodial account can be established in several ways. For example, a grandparent can nominate a custodian of the funds of the minor in a separate document, such as a nomination instrument, or simply on a stock account as a beneficiary. The designation has to be specific and must state that X is acting as the custodian for X (minor). In California, the custodial account distribution age can be arranged ranging from 18 to 21. Custodial accounts do not change the primary parental legal obligation to support the minor. The minor does have a right to request an accounting at the end of the term of the custodianship.

"With a custodial account, grandma or mom can designate different custodians for different accounts for the benefit of the same minor," Sirkin says. "The custodian cannot use the minor's funds for the custodian's personal use, but the account is not blocked. There is no requirement of a formal accounting in court unless the minor demands it."

Sirkin cautions that there are cases where a custodial account should not be used, such as when the minor has a disability or special need.    In fact, the best way to leave money to a minor is in a minor's trust. A minor's trust can be configured either for a typical child, or for a spcial needs child with a special needs provisions. A minor's trust can be fllexible in that the trust creator can set the time of distribution, even long after reaching the age of majority.

Depending on the amount of the gift or inheritance, Sirkin recommends that anyone leaving money to a minor should always consult an attorney to discuss their specific situation, as all the legal and tax ramification of a gift should be discussed with a lawyer before making a choice.

Mina N. Sirkin is a family wealth lawyer and a TV legal expert in Los Angeles, California. Ms. Sirkin is a Board Certified Specialist in Estate Planning, Probate and Trust Law by the Board of Legal Specialization of the State Bar of California.

For more information on gifts to minors, please contact: phone 818-340-4479.


Credit Counseling Agency Helps Consumers Live Healthier While Becoming Financially Fit

Tuesday, October 14th, 2008 | Financial Press Release

Agencies offering CareOne Credit Counseling Services (, are offering a collection of free tips and advice on how consumers can stay in shape this season while saving money on working out.

Baltimore, MD (PRWEB) October 7, 2008 -- Why not start on New Year's resolutions early this year? By focusing on fitness this fall, consumers can not only help fend off cold weather weight gain, but become more financially fit as well. People can do more than just save money in the short-term with inexpensive exercise options - a healthier body also equals longer-term savings through lower medical costs. Providers of CareOne Credit Counseling Services are releasing a series of financial fitness tips to help consumers keep their weight and health under control now, while also maintaining a healthy budget over time.

"Rather than waiting until early next year to make a commitment to improving both their physical and financial health, consumers should think about doing that right now," says CareOne Credit Counseling Services Spokesperson Clarky Davis. "Between the stress of the holidays and the inclination to spend more time inside during colder weather, motivation won't be at its highest levels in as little as a few weeks. By committing to inexpensive fitness routines now, people can save a bundle of money that could go towards decreasing debts or be put into savings." features a "tip jar" full of FreedomPointers from CareOne agencies as well as from visitors to the site. Tips on exercising financial freedom while staying fit, healthy, and happy include:

1. Home Workouts - Gyms and fancy equipment aren't requirements for getting, or staying, in shape. A family walk around the neighborhood, exercise videos, and even housework can all be a part of an effective and inexpensive exercise routine.

2. Second-Hand Fitness Equipment - For those individuals who prefer working out with equipment, whether anything from a weight bench to an exercise bike, there's no reason to pay full price. Second-hand exercise equipment can easily be found these days at late-season yard sales, local classifieds, or even online classified sites for far less money than new equipment.

3. Gym Membership Deals - If someone really can't seem to stay motivated without the social atmosphere of working out in a gym, they can attempt to get a discounted gym membership through a bulk deal with co-workers. The company may be able to secure a discounted rate due to the fact that they're referring a large number of prospective clients to the gym. Another option to save money on gym memberships is to check with health insurance providers - some offer full or partial reimbursements as a "reward" for the insured taking an active role in minimizing their health risks.

Beyond saving money right now, by making healthier lifestyle choices consumers can save money throughout the course of their lives. Healthier individuals may pay less for health insurance premiums, have fewer doctor visits, have less of a need for long-term care in later years, and even pay lower premiums on life insurance.

About CareOne Credit Counseling Services
CareOne Credit Counseling Services is a service mark of 3C Incorporated. CareOne agencies are industry leaders committed to providing consumers with education and debt management services related to improving and maintaining their financial health. CareOne agencies have helped over 4.5 million people pay down debts through their solid relationships with over 220,000 creditors.

For more information about CareOne Credit Counseling Services, please visit, or contact Clarky Davis at (410) 925-9769.

Clarky Davis
CareOne Credit Counseling Services
8930 Stanford Blvd.
Columbia, MD 21045
Phone: (410) 925-9769


Imperial Finance & Trading, LLC Launches New Corporate Website

Tuesday, October 14th, 2008 | Financial Press Release

BOCA RATON, Fla. (Business Wire EON/PRWEB ) October 8, 2008 --
Finance and Trading, LLC
, a leader in premium finance for life
, life insurance sales, and structured settlements,
is pleased to announce the launch of its new
corporate website

The site supplies visitors with interactive information driven by a
user-friendly format. It provides portals to all of Imperials
affiliates, including retail premium finance, wholesale
premium finance
, and structured

News Image
We encourage all of our customers and
investors to visit the new site, stated
Deborah Benaim
, Senior Vice President. It
is intended to be an informative resource and provide an engaging

Imperial continues to lead the marketplace in all financial arenas it
enters into by providing an unmatched portfolio of customized services.
These services enable individuals and families to manage financial risks
while providing new financial opportunities.

To visit Imperials new corporate website,
please visit

About Imperial

Imperial Finance & Trading, LLC is a specialty finance company focused
on the life insurance sales, premium finance, and structured settlement
industries. Life insurance, premium finance and structured settlement
services are provided through licensed affiliates of Imperial Finance &
Trading, LLC. Imperial is headquartered in Boca Raton, Florida. For more
information please visit

For further information contact Darcy Sullivan at
or (561) 995-4350.